Meet The Instructor
Karen Brown, MHP, CHP, DABR
Ms. Brown is a Diagnostic Imaging Physicist for Penn State College of Medicine. She is certified in Radiological Physics by the American Board of Radiology (ABR) and in Health Physics by the American Board of Health Physics (ABHP).
Her passion is education. She provides imaging physics education for residents, fellows, and technologists at multiple institutions and is committed to improving educational methods and outcomes.
She has helped hundreds of medical professionals achieve their educational goals and required certifications, and she has received multiple awards for her teaching excellence.
Ms. Brown is an active member of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine. She has served as Chair of the Medical Education of Physicians Committee.
She is co-author of the Diagnostic Radiology Resident Physics Curriculum. She has also served on written exam committees for the ABR and the ABHP, and as an oral examiner for the ABR.
In her spare time, Karen enjoys spending time with family, kayaking and hiking. She and her husband Alan have three children.
Penn State University- Graduate Certificate in Adult Medical Education, 2020
Illinois Institute of Technology-MHP Degree, Health Physics, 2000
Bloomsburg University- B.S. Degree, Health Physics, 1996
Luzerne County Community College- A.S. Degree, Nuclear Engineering, summa cum laude, 1994
Diplomat, American Board of Radiology, 2005 – Board Certified in Diagnostic Radiological Physics
The American Board of Health Physics – Certified in Comprehensive Health Physics
Penn State College of Medicine 2008 – present
New York University 2014 – present
Integris Baptist Medical Center 2018 – present
Europe Regional Medical Command
Medical – Surgical – Behavioral Science Conference – 2011
A. Articles published in refereed journals
- Bracikowski C, Bowman D, Brown K, Madara R. “Feeling the Physics of Linear Motion.” The Physics Teacher 36 (4):242-243, April 1998.
- Bracikowski C, Bowman D, Brown K, Madara R. “Students Experience Physics Concepts Firsthand.” Science and Children, 35 (7):27-30, April 1998.
- Chetlen A, Brown K, King S, Kasales C, Schetter S, Mack J, Zhu J. “Scatter Radiation Dose from Digital Screening Mammography Measured in a Representative Patient Population.” American Journal of Roentgenology, 206: 359-365, February 2016.
- Sivarajah J, Brown K, Chetlen, A. “I Can See Clearly Now, Fundamentals of Breast Ultrasound Optimization”, Clinical Imaging, 64: 124-135, 2020.
- Al-Senan R, Brown K, Erdman M, King S. “The uncertainty of thyroid dose estimate in chest CT”, Biomedical Physics and Engineering Express, 2020.
B. Peer-Reviewed Electronic-Only Publications
- Brown K, Parlade A, Dunne A. “Radiation Effects” Radiological Society of North America on-line resident physics education module. First published online December 2010, Revised April 2013
- Brown K, Alvi F, Dunne A. “Interactions of Radiation and Tissue” Radiological Society of North America on-line resident physics education module. First published online December 2008, Revised: August 2011, April 2013
- AAPM Subcommittee of the Medical Education of Physicians Committee, Diagnostic Radiology Residents Physics Curriculum, November 2013(co-author); June 2016 revision (co-author); September 2019 Revision (Module 11 editor).
- ACR-AAPM-SIIM Practice Parameter for Determinants of Image Quality in Digital Mammography, Revised August 2017 (co-author).
C. Book Chapters
- King S, Brown K, “Chapter 1: “Patient Radiation Safety and Risk” in Radiology Fundamentals, 5th edition, Singh H, Neutze J., Enterline JR, New York: Springer © 2015 ISBN: 978-3319103617
- Brown, K, Gold J, “Computed Tomography” in Radiology Physics Taught Through Cases, Nye J, New York: Thieme © 2020 ISBN: 978-1-62623-967-8